Wednesday, April 4, 2018

I had been sculpting for a couple of years and was still working in the oilfield.


I had been sculpting for a couple of years and was still working in the oilfield when I decided it was time to move my career along by getting into a big-time art gallery (or, for that matter, any gallery) that would handle my work. Lynne and I loaded up my bronze sculptures and drove to Jackson Hole, Wyoming. After scoping out all the art galleries in town, I made a list of what I thought were the very best. Standing outside the first gallery, I tried my best not to be nervous, even though I was. “The worst thing they can do is tell me ‘No,'” I said to myself. So, with my portfolio in hand, I went in and asked to speak to the director. After showing him images of my work, he politely told me they were not accepting new artists at that time. The next gallery owner said, “I'll be honest with you. I’m looking to represent artists who are already made.” I thanked the owner for being upfront with me and went on to the next gallery on my list. They also said, “No.” I started thinking that this was going to be a little tougher than I had expected. I was further declined at the fourth and fifth galleries. When one director wished me “good luck,” I said, “Thanks, but if you want luck, sometimes you have to go out and make it.” Feeling dejected, I returned to the car, where Lynne had been waiting. I told her that even though I was doing my best artwork, I realized that it wasn't quite good enough to show in these galleries. Being brutally honest is difficult, but I resolved then and there to go home, study, and work harder to become a better artist. chrisnavarro.com
(The sculptures pictured are the ones I showed when I tried to get galleries to handle my work)

No comments:

Post a Comment